Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fluid Filled Lump On Chest

Only the original is really ...

During my year abroad in the U.S., I experienced some international and national holidays and festivals, the "American way of celebrating." 4, July, the American national holidays I missed, unfortunately, but I came to enjoy Halloween to see the original!

Halloween was a special event for me. Before I moved to the U.S. I had this archetypal American hard often seen in U.S. films such as ET, Battlestar Galactica or Peanuts, and in many U.S. series have special Halloween episodes, where things are very different than in other episodes.
Although it probably only the American counterpart of our carnival is, I would still like to the original to do to go "Trick or Treating", as I had seen in so many movies already.

Constance I was in front of my U.S. trip on a student Halloween party. That was quite funny, but it is only a German copy of the U.S. original.

why I was very glad I was since the beginning of September in the United States and thus had the opportunity to experience Halloween in his home country. The problem was: how could I get access to a Halloween party?
After nearly two months, I did not know so many people in Stony Brook and I did not want to go around begging, that I will be invited somewhere. To my luck I asked a German friend of mine, of some time in the U.S. lived if I wanted to come to a pumpkin carving evening the day before Halloween. That was a beginning!

The evening was so very American: the hosts had their living room completely covered with plastic sheets on a table was a bucket of punch and what to eat, of course, was eaten from paper plates with plastic cutlery were, for the punch it plastic cup. Celia, the hostess showed me briefly the most important rooms in the apartment and then said that you could have plates, cutlery and cups after use simply lie on the floor, as are rolled up at the end of the Plan and fully come into the garbage.
It could be also the seeds and innards of the Pumpkins also throw down on the floor. Seeds or the flesh would not seem to keep Celia. could

John, Celia's friend was at a farm about 30 pumpkins concerned in various sizes to edit each of the 17 guests at least a pumpkin and cut a face clean.

This evening I noticed that the cutting is a pumpkin head real hard work. In addition, it is not easy to cut a really creepy face. If you are not careful you end up just a pumpkin with some holes in it. But with a few cups punch came with me at the end but to be out of a handsome face - may not have been as long, as the faces that had cut some of the Americans, but who had also been a lot more practice than me.

end of the evening we rolled four of the film on the floor together with all crockery, cutlery, cups and remnants of the pumpkin and stuffed it into one of three capacity of 35 gallons (about 132 liters) garbage cans outside the house. Shall be cleaned up in the USA! Unfortunately I was not at
Pumpkin Carvin evening also invited to a Halloween party. Celia and John were invited to another party and therefore not celebrated in their own house and the other guests had the most even invitations or something else on Halloween night before.

The next day, told my friend Manuela, that it was their year abroad, caregiver invited to his home to spend Halloween with her and her family. She offered to ask their supervisor if I can come along too - so I finally came to an invitation, even on Halloween night.

Whether you had to dress up or not, had to ask Manuela forgotten, however. But since I wanted to experience a real Halloween, I bought in the supermarket a couple of face paints and artificial blood, and dress up again as a zombie.

Manuela did not dress up and when we opened Anne, her supervisor, the door I had to find that she too had not dressed. Slowly I came me something stupid. After all, came Marcy, Anne's daughter dressed as a witch down the stairs.

was a real party is also not in Anne's house. Instead, there was a "typical" Halloween dinner with pumpkin and yams (sweet potatoes) and Anne told her guests, that is Manuela, two Chinese exchange students and me, what about the origin and history of Halloween. In addition there was non-alcoholic punch and soft drinks - so I had not actually presented ...

After dinner we asked Anne if we wanted to go with her daughter and her friends together for the "Trick or Treating". But this was different than I imagined had.

Marcy and her friends were in the immediate neighborhood around Anne's house rang from door to door to release its verdict and to collect some candy. The parents of the children ran into a little distance and waited on the street, while children up to the houses went. One mother even drove her SUV at a walking pace behind on the road - somehow this one never had the insouciance and exuberance that I had seen so often on television and cinema. It all looked rather forced and somewhat strained.

After the successful raid, we went back to Anne's house and Anne asked us if we wanted to drink something else. To Fortunately, the two Chinese students very enthusiastic and wanted to go home, so the next day they could quickly go to the university. So ended Manuela and I looked at the two female students and let us go home by Anne.

Somehow I had imagined it differently - a bit of Hollywood and a little less harsh reality ...

Next year, I celebrated Halloween again in a German WG.

0 comments:

Post a Comment