Annabel the Housefrau
For my second internship at New York University (NYU), I had looked for because of bad experiences in the private room search the last time a room in a Bed & breakfast house on Staten Iceland.
The journey from there to the psychology building at Washington Square Park did not take longer than the U-Bahn ride from my apartment in Brooklyn, which I had lived during my first internship.
New York is such a great city, that you could easily live within the city limits and still took over an hour to get to his job.
The four weeks in B & B on Staten Iceland cost as much as the month in the WG in Brooklyn. In contrast to my room in Brooklyn, there was the B & B is a large bed, a wardrobe, other furniture and even a TV (on which I have seen my first and last Oscar ceremony live in the U.S.). Back in Brooklyn I had my landlord and roommate Max just a normal bed (no sofa-bed) made available, otherwise there was nothing in the room, no closet, no table and no chair. And to top it all me Max has hiring and ripped off yet. The B & B I knew at least that I have so much rent pay, so that the operator while still making a profit - for a flat like this one is more likely that the rent is shared fairly and is not a "tenant" paid completely. But in New York so many things are different than in Germany.
The owner of B & B was actually named Eugene and pediatric dentist. Because his practice is not enough of a profit he ran threw the B & B to earn extra money. He was rarely in the B & B because he treated children's teeth during the day and evening only now and then came over to look after or make the accounting.
Annabel, Eugene's only colleague in charge of the B & B and was the girl for everything in the house. In the morning she made breakfast, the day she cleaned the rooms and three bathrooms in the house, answered calls and e-mails and evening they received the new guests. Annabel was always somewhere in the house access, during the week and on weekends and I began to wonder, when did it because it free.
sat on Sunday morning in the second week, Annabel at breakfast to me and began to converse with me. She wanted to know how Germany for that is what is the difference with the U.S. and what I have in the U.S.. Just some small talk.
Annabel looked out the window at the New York Bay. "It looks as if it were today times reflect good weather. Bouncing over to the city? "
" Yes. I wanted to look around for a few trainers in Manhattan. "
" I was not ever in the city, "Annabel said thoughtfully. "Is the B & B is always plenty to do."
"I can think of. Eugene but You Did not other employees? "I ask.
"From time to me a cleaning lady to help with the baths, but the house throws off enough money to employ a second full-time employee."
"Do you work then 7 days a week?"
"No, on Eugene weekend is usually there. Only this weekend he has no time. "
I found that not sound very credible. But Annabel wanted me probably not telling the truth and I had no desire to ask further. So I changed the subject.
"Today was a great day! I was in Italy Littly and then I went to Central Park and got me there on a bench and read something. That's fascinating that in a densely populated city nor place for such a large park. "
" Ah yes, the Central Park was based "Annabel her head on her hands and looked again out the window. "I will for years even in the Central Park to go. "
" What? You've never been in Central Park? "
" In the house is always so much to do and for a trip into the city should have at least plan a whole afternoon. "
" Since when do you work here at the B & B "I asked suspiciously.
"for 7 years."
shook "And you were in the whole time not even in Central Park?"
Annabel's head. "Too much work"
"And in Manhattan?"
Annabel said no again.
"But you just said that at the Eugene Weekend is here and you have free will, right? "
" But then I usually stay here in Staten Iceland. Do the shopping, wash clothes, stuff up. "
That sounded like a lame excuse, I thought.
"You really need to find time and take the ferry over. This is really worth it. "I replied lamely.
"Yes, I should make time," said Annabel. Then she got up and put together dirty dishes, which are other guests had left.
"Take you got a couple of cornflakes. They're healthy, "she said, and went with the plates in his hand in the next room.
This ended the conversation.
I do not know if it was inconvenient for them to admit that she had so little money that she had to work 7 days a week, or if she was embarrassed that I had caught, as me an ideal world wanted to play for.
I found it shocking to hear any case that Annabel in the 7 years appears to be the manager of the B & B had no vacation or at least never once had the time to take the free ferry at the 45 minute drive to Manhattan.
I was on TV in Germany once saw a documentary about people in the United States, which failed dream the American Dream and for years without breaking holiday worked. But to see a documentary one thing to meet someone like that is is a different story.
Annabel's work at the B & B of course, was not so physically exhausting that they had reason to fear them health problems. But so long without working holiday was determined not too healthy.
felt after that conversation I am definitely a little uncomfortable as a guest in this house. After all, I was involved with through my presence that Annabel had to stay at the B & B. On the other hand, it was probably dependent on the money they earned here.
remained Yet somehow return a bad feeling.
In my last two weeks in B & B Annabel, I met several more times. They always greeted me politely and said every now and then the weather, but such a call as at the breakfast table was not reached again.
0 comments:
Post a Comment