Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What Stores Sell Revere Ware

trouble with the old building at the airport

My room in my old-WG was frankly a drafty hole. The house, 4 in the Floor we had our flat was in the 17th Century and has been renovated since then only marginally.

The fuse box the corridor was old, that it would not have been surprised if the fuses or the swastika had been carved. The doors and windows in our apartment were really thin, under the window sills to air pulled through and it was through his door every step to hear in the hallway - and I do not want to know what people in the hallway outside all could listen to sounds from my room ...

the floor boards in the ceiling and the walls were housed mice and even if my friend came to visit, I always had to go first on spider hunting, as it has a phobia of spiders. I often did at the end of the hunt carried a two-digit number of spiders in front of the door.

The house had desperately needed a renovation, but Mr. von Hohenstein, the owner of the house, completely broke and craft a real dud.

He once came to the actually not such a bad idea that he wanted to replace the broken tiles in the small hallway. First, he wanted to move us heavy, dark brown tiles in the hallway, where anyway the whole day was dim, as the hall had no windows.
When I told him that we would have no ground, as in the brewery and it should put us kindly white tiles in the hallway, he pulled from the building two different types of white tiles and put them in the hallway because he did not get enough of a Art could get - after three days the first tile again easily ...

The house was so old that there was no case for sewage pipes and the toilet flushing and so were all the tubes out of our apartment to the drain pipe out to the outer wall of the house.

"I have a special permit from the city," said Mr. Hohenstein to him once when I asked if this was allowed because Sun "The house is a listed building, because no one can lay pipes through the walls."

Whether the times as agreed, I was not sure. But the scheme has meant that we can often get in the winter hot water in the kitchen or bathroom run 20 minutes Had to be flushed to the pipe to prevent it from frozen.
When my roommate and I once every Christmas for over two weeks, were in the apartment was, it did happen and the gutter was frozen. Even hot water can run no longer worked. At some point the water was in the bath and no longer flowed from.

Ultimately, Hermann von Hohenstein spent a good 3 hours on a aluminum ladder on the wall and the receding ice rain tube with a soldering iron for the electronic hobbyist.

When I moved from the small to one of the larger rooms after we got rid of our house dragon Diana, Hermann wanted to renovate the room is clean and put a new floor. So he ordered me

times to be in the apartment, the rent with me to discuss and submit to me his ideas for the renovation. Shortly after I had rung the bell at his door, he made on me and took me to his "work" a little about 12-square-foot space, which was to be placed under the ceiling full of shelves, where there are books, electronic magazines, boxes of diodes, transistors, wires, LEDs, etc. piled up. On the only table in the room between other magazine stacks and shelves towers stood an old 14 "monitor from IBM. Under the table the right, at least 10 years old 486 computer was on the under Warranty still ran Windows 3.11.

Mr. Hohenstein dropped into a scruffy office chair and motioned me to sit down on a wooden folding chair on which a thin, lay with corduroy fabric covered cushions.

He came straight to the point. "Your new room, I would underline know before you move. Mrs. W. (Daniel the dragon) is now fully covered without underline the room. "

" Did you expect it to something else? "I interjected. "Did she at least paid their rent last?"

Hermann grinned at me and stroked his Schnautzbart. "I need not tell you," he said. He ran again with the thumb and index finger over the Schnäutzer and then murmured: "We have agreed to set off the last rent from the deposit."

I grinned at my landlord. As I expected, he could not keep a secret. In addition, I was already clear that Diana had not paid their rent last, they never paid anything on time.

"Anyway. For your floor I've ever considered what. How about if I interpret the two rooms with coconut mats? Others like me here in the room on the ground have. "He looked down at his feet.

I let my eyes briefly glide across the floor and said then "it's not serious? Something one can not put in a bedroom and living room! This is her work, as this is a floor mounted, but I'd love to run there in socks or bare feet over it and will not have such as a basement floor in it. "

Hermann looked at me dumbfounded. "This is still a beautiful floor," he murmured thoughtfully. He was fast but in small. "I can not even look at the recycling center, if I can find even a carpet or a couple of laminated plates."

"carpet or laminate sounds good," I agreed with him. "Just please do not brown carpet."

"But they have claims. Well, so be it. "Herr von Hohenstein had sometimes been a few strange expressions in stock. "Please go now!"

fact, my landlord moved a rug in the first room and laminate in my second room and in the adjoining room, where Michael lived, if he was not just on holiday at the moment.

The laminate was even halfway installed at ground level, so there was hardly any unevenness between two adjacent panels. The carpet was a different story. Hermann had apparently do not use as much carpet adhesive and had stuck the carpet only occasionally on the floor boards, which meant that within a few days for air bubbles and waves were on the carpet. He also had attached to the walls no trim, so you could see anywhere how sloppy he had cut the carpet actually handle and how many times he had to correct errors in cutting.

least I had are no cork mats on the floor in my room ...

After the disaster with the frozen gutter decided by Mr. Hohenstein to replace these suboptimal solution with something better and more modern. With a fresh loan from the bank in the case of Mr. Hohenstein was an isolated sewage pipe attached to the outside of the house by a qualified Workshop - fortunately he had this work not expect from yourself, who knows what would come of it. Perhaps he could do it, the tube positioned so that the water had run up, not down. Unfortunately

was installed the pipe for structural reasons, to other side of the house, so that initially could only be connected to the toilet. The kitchen and the bathroom had also to the other side of the dwelling to be laid.

So we Herr von Hohenstein had not previously declared. My roommate Wigald, Isabel and I introduced him to task and asked him how the imagining.

"Simple," grinned Hermann us at. "Mr. P. (Wigald) gives one of his two rooms, I make the door and then there is a small kitchen fitted with a shower."

the storm of indignation, which came on after the announcement of our landlord, need I well not to repeat here. My roommate and I were in any case not satisfied with these plans.

"And if one wants to shower, then he must always complete the kitchen or as you imagined it?" I asked him.

"I can move in a plywood wall and cut off a small bathroom."

"The room is a pitched roof with 18 square meters floor area and you want to turn it into two rooms? "Asked Wigald aghast. "Where are we going as a dining table set inside or shelves and storage cabinets?"

"Everyone can keep his stores but in his room." Herr von Hohenstein had today but really an answer for everything.

"We have mice in the apartment anyway? Will next be even cockroaches and ants come to this? "

" Now you are ready to compromise but something, "called the landlord. "I've still got nothing reported about my plans, a wall through the great hall to draw, so I have uninterrupted access to the attic. I want to create there even an apartment. "

" What, you do not want us just take a room, but still half the hall? "I asked indignantly. "That is the question!"

"I take away from you but no room. The old kitchen can be used instead as a new bedroom and the bathroom is a store room. "

" A store inside a bathtub. Super! "Quipped Isabel.

"I was thinking that I am a board can be mounted with hinges on the bathtub. Then you have a beautiful Chest in the room. But what about the fine. "

Mr. Hohenstein was now an interior decorator probably eaten for breakfast. The discussion went a while without success. We steadfastly refused to endorse these plans and at the end of the debate announced by Mr. Hohenstein all of us at the earliest possible date and started the next day, a line of bricks down the hall drew lots to draw.

a while we thought about ourselves if we are to him the entrance to our apartment - if necessary even with the help of a lawyer - should be forbidden as long as we still lived there. But since Isabel was the second three weeks will remain on the statement date out into the apartment, nor to their studies to conclude, we talked back and give her sake let Herr von Hohenstein, even if it does not suit us, without our consent that he began to rebuild the house.

sometimes you can get is just too much like, just to keep the peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment